Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Korean Man

I slip into a pair of old jeans, a black sweater with a hole or two and beige flip flops
The Korean man & I don't need to dress to impress each other
He's too old for that & I'm too young for it
It's time to go see my man, my Korean
It's 5 in the morning as the famous Frisco fog rolls in
I see my own breath as I walk past the cafe, the art supplies store and yet another cafe
They are all closed. They are not mine & I'm not theirs.
But I know that he will be awake, he will be open and he will be expecting
I pass the homeless man on his cardboard bed. He's been asleep since 7:00 pm last evening.
Past the frames of old stolen bicycles and yesterday's trash due for collection
At long last, there it is! The place where we rendezvous when we feel like it.
The bells chime as I cross his threshold
I like to imagine that this happens only for me, but deep down I know that to be false
My eyes take in his repository, his uh...stockpile
The sugary treats, the energy potions and the colorful what nots
I venture deeper inside his lair
He has erected a barricade that I cannot cross
I'm certain it is for others, but all the same, it stops me in my tracks
I stand behind, waiting to catch a glimpse of him
My eyes frantically scan the area for a hint of movement
There he is! He was under the counter the whole time
Oh he knows I've arrived. We exchange wistful glances.
He finally emerges from behind the counter like a snake at the beckoning of its charmer
"Oh hey! Good morning!"
"Good morning! How are you?"
"I'm good. I'm good. Haven't seen you in a while huh?"
"Eyyeah, I'm trying to cut down y'know"
"Ah yes yes. Here you go"
"Six seventy five, right?"
"Yes. Six seventy five"
I give him exactly what he wants
"Here you go"
"Thank you. Have a good day huh?"
"Thank you. You too"
Sometimes there's a Korean lady, but it's not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment